Thursday, January 31, 2008

New Hymnals Coming!


I have ordered a number of hymnals in the past few weeks. Two of them have now arrived:
  • The St. Michael Hymnal, a very Catholic hymnal locally produced by a Roman Catholic Parish (not, interestingly, named St. Michael's; I think it's St. Boniface or something) in Indiana; I don't think I'll put "Long Live the Pope" in Evergreen Sings, but it's nice to have a hymnal with it in it; our organist may be able to use it for a Prelude or something...

  • Lutheran Worship, which just arrived today. This is the 1982 hymnal of the Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod. It's certainly an attractive volume, and I'm sure it will have some gems in it. LCMS is Jaroslav Vajda's denomination, and I'm interested to see how much of his stuff (and what) they have included.


On order are five Spanish hymnals (one each Methodist, Catholic, Disciples, non-denominational, and Southern Baptist); so far I haven't figured out how to get a copy of the interesting recent Cuban Baptist Alabanza Cubana, which at least one Google reference shows (mystifyingly) as having been published by a Pentecostal publisher (Buena Semilla, I think) in ¡Colombia!

Also on order are Hymns for a Pilgrim People, recently put out by the NACCC; the African American Heritage Hymnal, which I believe is the current pew hymnal at Mt. Zion, Seattle's most "established" Black Baptist Church; a used copy of Melodies of Praise, a 1950s Assembly of God hymnal that I hope will contain several Ira Stanphill songs I want to have; and four more copies of the Christian Life Hymnal. And apparently the United Methodists' Global Ministries' Russia Project is going to send me a copy of the UM Russian hymnal.

Also, Japanese Baptist has a bunch of old Baptist Hymnals (1956) and Broadman Hymnals (1940), and I am hoping they'll part with one of each, as well as perhaps the 聖歌 and the American Hymnal (Broadman, 1930) they also have in their choir closet. I still need to get ahold of a copy of the 1977 New National Baptist Hymnal to supplement and correct my 2001 "Millennium Edition" of said work. That done, I will have all the current EBA hymnals I know of, as well as most if not all of the previous generation.

The Evergreen newsletter published today has a blurb (see p. 2) about this Evergreen Sings project. I hope someone reads it ;-)

Leland

6 comments:

Leland Bryant Ross said...

The African American Heritage Hymnal arrived on February 2, and it's wonderful.

Leland Bryant Ross said...

Also Melodies of Praise, which does indeed have several of the Stanphill pieces I was missing, as well as some other good stuff.

Leland Bryant Ross said...

Four wonderful arrivals today: * Hymns for a Pilgrim People (NACCC, 2007)
* Himnos de gloria: cantos de triunfo (AOG, 1990)
* Mil voces para celebrar: himnario metodista (UM, 1996)
* Oramos cantando / We Pray in Song (Catholic, 2005)

Leland Bryant Ross said...

Three arrivals to note:

*Cáliz de Bendiciones, the Disciples of Christ Spanish hymnal, arrived but turned out to be © Abingdon Press, and sure enough, the hymns are identical to the hymn section of Mil voces para celebrar, the UM Spanish hymnal. The latter, however, has an extensive psalter that is missing in the former, so I am treating MVpC as my primary Spanish Protestant hymnal.

*Japanese Baptist came through with five items for my collection: the 1956 Baptist Hymnal, 1940 Broadman Hymnal, the American Hymnal (Broadman, 1933), the 1958 Seika, and the early-1990s? bilingual English-Japanese Exalt Him! praise song collection.

*...and last but not least the United Methodists' Global Ministries folks sent me four copies of their Russian hymnal, Мир вам, along with 20 cassettes of a Russian Methodist choir singing hymns.

Anonymous said...

The Cuban hymnal "Alabanza Cubana" is not available for purchase. It was printed in limited numbers by the Cuban Baptist Convention for use in their own churches. However, I'm working on a way to distribute some of these songs in the U.S. Please visit www.alabanzacubana.com around October 1 and we hope to have several CDs and a songbook available.

Leland Bryant Ross said...

Thanks for the comment here and at the Hymn Society board, David. I certainly will check that website in October! I would like to be able to do Esperanto versions of at least a couple of the songs from Alabanza Cubana for use at the KELI worship service during the Universala Kongreso de Esperanto next summer in Havana.